We have a number of familiar West Hants faces representing Great Britain in their chosen sports. Our congratulations go to Matt, Andy, Boyd, and Pauline (Tennis), Simon (Padel), and Bev and Tony (Squash) on their selections. We will share updates as we receive them and below are reports, from Boyd, Andy, and Matt all competitors in the ITF Senior World Championships 2022 in Florida!
Tournament Report, ITF World Championships, by Boyd (4th May 2022)
"Pauline and I represented the Women's 70s and Men's 70s respectively, The men were unllucky to have the eventual winners USA in their initial group, but won all matches after that to finish in a very pleasing 5th position.
The 70s women won through to play USA in a final to decide 1st and 2nd places. Despite some close matches USA won that tie and we finished in 2nd place - a great achievement!
West Hants also has representation in the Men's 50s with Andy Philips and wih Matt Coombes in the 55s. This competion is still ongoing at the time of going to press and we are currently involved in playoffs for 9-16th positions, having faced Brazil and USA in the group stages.
Few if any other clubs have this degree of representation in this prestigious event."
Tournament Report, ITF World Championships, by Andy (4th May 2022)
- Both Matt (M55's) and I (M50's) finished the week in Boca Raton in 9th position, this was out of 24 teams. Both teams lost their opening fixture but remained unbeaten for the rest of the week. The highlights for the 55's was beating Argentina 2-1 and the 50's destroying Canada 2-0 in the play-off stage. It was fantastic to be back playing on the world stage and was particularly pleasing for 4 West Hants members to be part of Team GB.
- Having a great time in Boca Raton. So far we have beaten South Africa 3-0 and Israel 2-0. Lost 2-1 in an epic encounter with Brazil. The humidity and heat make things tough and we are currently off court due to a severe rainstorm. We have 2 more matches to play before heading home at the weekend.
Tournament Report, ITF World Championships, by Matt (3rd-11th May 2022)
Various reports shared on Matt's Instagram account (public setting)
- We finished 9th out of 25 countries, which is the best we could have done after losing to USA who were the No.1 seeds, host nation and eventual winners. We beat Argentina, Croatia, Canada and Portugal and I won 7 of my 8 matches!
- Different day, different country, Canada, same end result, Andy Hutchinson lost the 2nds singles in blistering heat, I then managed to win the No. 1s singles and the deciding doubles with Dave Shann both by the same score 6-3 7-5. I’m absolutely knackered, one more day to go v either Portugal or Switzerland. I’m gonna enjoy dinner and a couple of beers tonight!
- Thunder and lightning warnings have put an end to todays play v Croatia, the score is currently 1-1. Andy Hutchinson lost a long singles in 90 degrees, I then bt their No. 1. We’ll have to play the deciding doubles early tomorrow, if we win we play Canada.
- GB 55s just got a win against Argentina 2-1. Dave Shann lost a close 1st singles, I beat their No. 1 then me and Dave paired up to win the deciding doubles.
- Didn’t get the kindest of draws, tomorrow we kick off against the No. 1 seeds and host nation the USA, and the other country in our group is Argentina. It couldn’t have been much tougher but it is the World Championships!
Keep checking back for updates!