Club Opening Times
Mon to Fri 7am - 11pm
Sat & Sun 8am - 9pm
Sign up to receive our newsletter
Sign up to receive our newsletter for hot off the press joining offers, promotions, events, and more!
Member Referral Offer for Summer!
Refer a friend to us in July, August or September and receive a case of selected summer wine!
The Club was formed in 1926 with the British Hardcourt Championships being held at the Club between the years of 1928 and 1983. During this period many of sports greatest stars have played on the centre court. These include Fred Perry, Jaroslav Drobny, Roy Emerson, Ken Rosewall, Rod Laver, Illie Nastase, Doris Hart, Ann Jones, Virginia Wade and Evonne Goolagong. The Club was also a leader as far as the development of the game was concerned and in 1968 the first 'open' tournament in the world was held at the Club. This was when the games leading professionals lined up against amateurs and Britain's Mark Cox made tennis history. As an amateur he defeated American Pancho Gonzales in a 5 set thriller causing an absolute sensation amongst the press and spectators alike.
In 1994 the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) acquired and leased back all the freehold assets to the West Hants LTC. The LTA's investment has resulted in a fully refurbished thriving members Club which is one of the country's finest tournament venues with ten American Clay courts. The Club now provides sports and social facilities for all ages and abilities.
Today some of Britain's finest tennis players are currently members of the West Hants Club including Mark Cox, John Feaver and Virginia Wade. As an amateur, Virginia Wade won the inaugural British Hard Court Championships held in Bournemouth, where she was born, and as a professional won Wimbledon in 1977. John Feaver is currently the president of the Dorset County LTA and together with Mark Cox frequently visits the Club.